Thursday, September 20, 2007

The air grows colder.

The autumnal equinox is sunday. Starbucks has rolled out their pumpkin spiced latte. These are my signs that soon, life will turn to chaos. I’m not talking about Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Quanza, Hanukkah or even St. Crispin’s Day. Those are only minor distractions. Blips on the radar that pass quickly.

I’m about to put myself through a month long hell known as National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo for short). Starting November 1st, I will be writing 1,667 (or so) words a day. The goal is that by the end of November, I will have written a 50,000 word novel. The anticipation has just started for me.

The last couple of years I relied on friends to help me through the process. Friends that said they’d be there with me through the whole process, working on their own novels. True friends that said they’d be at my side through thick and thin. Friends that gave up on their own novels by the 5th and were sick of hearing about my novel by the time I’d given up on the 8th. This year will be different. I’m not going to rely on friends to help me. I’m going to give up on my own!

Actually, I really hope I can make it the whole month. I’ve got an idea for a story that I want to write and the deadline involved in the whole NaNoWriMo thing might actually help me. This year I will succeed, I’m 38% sure of it.

Anyway, if you want to write up a novel during the NaNoWriMo thing, check out www.nanowrimo.org or the book “No Plot? No Problem!” by Chris Baty.

ps., to be fair to my wonderful friends, I want to mention that unlike me, they’ve at least finished novels in previous years. The bastards.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that.

Tedwrd said...

Even thousands of miles, two time zones away, and on holiday, I still check in on my friends blogs. Good luck with NaNoWriMo. I hearby throw my gauntlet into the ring, and will stand by you, through high and low word counts, through thick and thin. We both shall write approximatly 1,667 words a day for thirty days.

Bring it on!

Morgue said...

I also plan on doing it but, unlike ted, I have no plans on bolstering you in any way. In fact, I shall see to it that you perish en route, and your body is never found! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I stand alone, like the short kid when teams are picked for basketball!

I stand alone, like a nameless, cigar-chomping drifter in a town full of Italians pretending to be Mexican!

Ixtlilton said...

hehe, nice.