Monday, March 9, 2009

Watchmen A.R.G.

Just played around with the small A.R.G. associated with the Watchmen film- www.6minutestomidnight.com -

The premise of the site is that Rorshach shows you tests and you enter what you think you see. Correct answers will unlock clips that tell you about the characters from the film. I went through the usual answers that were expected (I won't spoil it here- there are other places to go for that kind of info), but I got stuck on the final one and had to look it up. Now comes the fun- I've seen the site as it was intended, so now comes entering random things to get unexpected responses. I went with "Dog" first, because I've read the graphic novel, and got a good response. I tried several others, but responses weren't all that great. On a tip from a forum post I found, I went with "Alan Moore"- the response was great. If you want to know what was said, you can try it for yourself.

All in all, I found it to be a fun little A.R.G for ten minutes.

2 comments:

jan said...

again with the ARGs. well, i tend more toward ARGHs, which would be why i'm not going to try your suggested subterfuge of the Watchman thingy. however, it does sound like you've got it down.
btw, what does "R" have to do with ARG?

Ixtlilton said...

in this case, the reality (the R) comes if you enter in your telephone number. The folks running the site would have a person "in character" talk to you about information relevant to the site. The phone call would represent your 'reality' being interrupted by the game. I didn't give them my number, mostly because I didn't want to deal with it on that level.

In a lot of ARG sites, your reality would be brought in through emails, snail mail, sms messages, or phone calls. This would merge your 'reality' with the alternate 'reality' of the game.