Monday, October 29, 2007

The Caper: An introduction to my examination of caper stories.

As I get closer to writing a novel for Nanowrimo, I’ve decided to take a closer look at capers. Mostly because, at this moment, I’m thinking of traveling down that route myself in November.

I love capers because there’s a friendliness among a group of people that are gathered together to complete a single goal: to commit a perfect crime. The group’s dynamic as they go through the process of planning and committing that crime really show off their different personalities. What separates a caper from other crime stories, for me, seems to be a level of fun. There is rarely a feeling that any characters will truly suffer or die. Harsh reality has very little to do with these stories other then to bring the group together at the beginning.

Over the next few posts, I plan to go into what I think are the important elements in the Caper.

3 comments:

Morgue said...

The only one I was able to think up off the top of my head was, "There will be an unexpected development that threatens to derail the entire caper, but it will turn out to be completely anticipated and, in fact, integral to the plan."

Ixtlilton said...

You're right, that happens quite often.

Andrew Penn Romine said...

I'm all ears for this one. I love capers. Especially on a bagel with lox & cream cheese.


Er. And CRIME Capers, too. :D